MFA-WRITING Spalding University
BA-JOURNALISM University of Kentucky
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Best of Gannett, 2008
- Column-writing, Wisconsin Newspaper Association, 2008
- Peter J. Lisagor Award for newswriting, Chicago Headline Club, 2003
- Best Newspaper Writing 2000 inclusion for “detail-driven reporting and spellbinding writing”
- American Society of Newspaper Editors writing award, national finalist, 2000
- Jones-Beck Award for best writer at Chicago Tribune, 2000
- Best story series, Society of Professional Journalists Queen City Chapter, 1997
- Public-service journalism, Society of Professional Journalists, 1997
- Best personality profile, SPJ Queen City Chapter, 1997
- Best columns, Associated Press Society of Ohio, 1997
- Kentucky’s Best Columnist, Kentucky Press Association, 1996
- KPA awards for feature and news writing, investigative journalism, numerous others, 1986-1994
- Landmark Community Newspaper awards for feature and news writing, 1985
"I was a journalist for 10,000 afternoons.
"That's 27 years to most of you, but to me it's afternoons, 10,000 strung like beads. Because it was as the little hand slid down the right side of the clock that I could feel deadline closing in.
"So it is that afternoons are the essence of my life and work. And they are what come back to me now when I think back on all those years"